22.2.09

For starters, I don't know anything about film. I joined this class to learn what i consider the essentials. I can't say I watch a lot of films, perhaps some here or there on the big screen. Most of the films we are going to watch in class I have never seen, predominantly due to my childhood. I can name you some of the most notewothy films in russian filmography that i have been raised with, their famous phrases, songs, etc... but i cant do the same for American classics and such. I really hope that this class will provide a strong foundation of knowledge for me and let me catch up to the great films I've unfortunately missed out on! I am interested in the symbolism that is greatly embedded in practically every film and the techniques the director uses to accomplish his goals. As someone who is very involved in design, I view film as yet another way to reveal one;s artistic expression. I can easily relate the effects you want to achieve on a poster or publication to the effects a camera and scenario can achieve. As we've learned in class, the camera can work magic. Directions, colors, lighting and sounds are all without a doubt neccessary to create the final touch.
I don't believe I've seen any great films on my own very recently, but this summer I watched Dark Knight. The film really played with my head and was quite the thriller. Thinking back, I realized how many tricks the director used to provide that feeling. I have never really paid much attention to if the camera was looking from below or from above on a character or the presence of a discussed gun or an overbearing presence of doors and windows, but I have noticed that I've done that ever since the beginning of the term. The symbolism is immense. Watching "It was one of us" on lifetime about five college friends turned enemies, I began to watch out for every over-emphasized object or detail. The film was about betrayal, bribery and lies, so every word and action carried symbolism in itself. The whole time neither the characters in the movie nor the audience knew who the true "criminal" was so the suspense was elevated. I hope that this class makes me more aware of quality films and look forward to learning as I watch!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a very charming post. I hope the class lives up to your very modest expectations. I'm sure it will. No need to be over-awed, though. Film appreciation is pretty easy stuff. And fun.

    ReplyDelete